By Jessica Brodie
MYRTLE BEACH—Final registration is continuing this month for “Come to the Water,” the men’s ministry spiritual weekend, set for Feb. 16-18, 2018, at Christ United Methodist Church.
Herman Lightsey, president of the South Carolina Conference United Methodist Men, and L.W. Smith, the weekend’s organizer, said the event will be an exciting and dynamic time of deepening one’s faith walk and learning how to be a better man of God.
Last year’s retreat drew more than 1,000 from across South Carolina and was the largest event they—or any conference—have held for men’s ministry.
Popular Christian speaker and pastor the Rev. Jorge Acevedo will keynote the event. Acevedo is the lead pastor at Grace Church, a multisite UMC in Southwest Florida with five campuses. The congregations comprise working class, working poor and homeless persons, and campuses range from very large to very small in size.
Acevedo said his greatest delight is connecting people to Jesus and the church.
The retreat will also feature a special performance by the Africa University Choir. A younger man’s breakout session will be held on Saturday.
Workshops are as follows:
- “Faith for Fathers,” by Jonathan Bright
- “Five Habits That Create Successful Faith,” by Greg Arnold
- “Walking with Jesus on the Way to Emmaus,” by Bobby Sandifer
- “Prayer that Flows Like Water,” by Dr. Luke Walker
- “Baptism and Water,” by the Rev. Jeff Dunn
- “Are Rivers of Living Water Flowing from You?” by Mark Barrow
- “Maximizing Ministry to Millennials,” by Chris Lynch
- “Living an Intentional Life for Christ,” by Robert Noland
- “Providing Access to the Living Water through the Outdoors,” by Ironman Outdoors
- “Tool Time with Salkehatchie,” by Kathy Hart
- “Disaster Response Calls You,” by Ward Smith
- “How We Share our Faith Boldly,” by Larry Price
New in 2018 will be a golf tournament Friday morning at Wachesaw East in Murrells Inlet.
Registration is $100/man. The rate for man and wife is $130. Clergy rate is $55, and clergy plus spouse rate is $85.
To register, as well as to learn about host hotels: www.mennministrysc.org.